Idle Wandering

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Something Completely Different - Sumo

On the Clack House, to pass the time waiting for word on Clay's album release date, we were posting about encounters with famous people. I'd already posted my short list when djs111 posted this:

I did see Akebono and Musashimaru outside the sumo arena in Tokyo.

I immediately scribbled out a new post, and starting uploading photos. About that time, lots of exciting things happened. It was announced that there was a winner of the "guess the initials of the new album" contest, then the winner posted about her conversation with Clay, and then Clay blogged. So I decided to spare my fellow fans the details of my brushes with sumo greatness, and blog about them instead.

Now by the time I'm done, you'll be thinking I was some kind of sumo groupie, but it wasn't like that. Just dumb luck.

So, here I am with the first non-Japanese Yokozuna (top ranked wrestler), Akebono, born Chad Rowan in Hawaii.

akebono_clipped


(Where I am, you ask? Well you can't be incognito and post your own picture on the freaking internet, now can you? You'll just have to take my word for it.)

Here "we" are again:

Akebono and me_clipped


When I brought the film with the Akebono photos into the photo processing kiosk up the street, I thought the owner was going to have conniption fits. I was treated like royalty forever after.

Here's Akebono with his game face on:

pic_akebono

6' 8" tall, 540 pounds. He'd make Ruben look like a little pixie. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now Akebono was a lovely man, unassuming and dedicated to the sport, but my favorite was Mainoumi. Here we are together (minus me, of course):

Mainoumi_clipped


I liked Mainoumi because he was small but scrappy, like me. He could triumph over really, really big guys, like the morbidly obese Konishiki:

mainoumi vs konishiki


The other wrestlers said Mainoumi could stick to the dohyo like he had glue on his feet. It was still a struggle for him because he was so small, and he had the misfortune of having Konishiki fall on him once. Not good. Even though the broken leg healed, he was never quite the same and eventually he retired. Here's a shot of Akebono cutting off a lock of Mainoumi's hair at his retirement ceremony, broadcast on Japanese television.

MAINOU~1


Since he retired, he's become a famous Japanese television personality; minus the sumo attire and hair-do he looks like this:

s-mainoumi


His wedding was televised too. Sumo wrestlers are huge celebrities in Japan. But, as I said, I was lucky. Here I am (invisibly speaking) with another Yokozuna, Wakanohana:

Waka and me_clipped


Wakanohana and his brother Takanohana were Yokozunas at the same time, a rare event indeed. Their father had also been a Yokozuna, and ran the biggest sumo "stable" in Japan. (Sounds like a place for animals, doesn't it?)

Sometimes the wrestlers can let their hair down, like when they are traveling for exhibitions:

backstage


Yup, I took that picture "backstage". Now why couldn't I ever be backstage during a Clay Aiken concert??

I had some other great sumo moments, such as a number of social occasions with the esteemed gyoji Shozaburo:

shozaburo


He'd probably tell you about how difficult I was to feed, as I refused to touch anything remotely exotic. One of my funniest moments was watching how uncomfortable he was in a donut shop. Shozaburo's name changed when he was promoted, and then he retired too.

What else? Well, I went to a kareoke bar once with Daishi, who loved to sing Whitney Houston, and was very, very good.

Daishi_kareoke


Here's Daishi singing traditional sumo songs:

Daishi


I don't have any photos of the time some of us took a bunch of wrestlers out to dinner. The bill was outrageous, and the menu very squicky. Imagine a large hibachi in the middle of the table with about 20 beef tongues on it, looking exactly like what they were. Ew.

I never did get to meet the wrestler I thought was the hottest: the Wolf, Chiyonofuji. He was retired by then, and a famous stable-master. Here he is before his retirement, in Peru:

Wolf in Peru


And in the special ring-entering ceremony for Yokozuna:

Chiyonofuji


Rawr.

So that's my story of hob-nobbing with the very famous in Japan. How did I do it? Connections. What can I say? Luck. Now if only I were lucky enough to have that kind of connection with the Aiken. Sigh.


Technorati tags:

Most of these photos I did not take, and those do not belong to me. The ones with me in them (invisibly) do belong to me. Photos copyrighted to those who own them.



11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEEE!!!! Another Sumo fan! How could you leave out Terao, who I thought was VERY attractive?
I went to the opening day ceremony for the January 2000 basho in Tokyo - great fun, but I still wish we had been able to get a shopping bag full of stuff, food and tshirts and pictures.
When working in Japan, I watched the re-runs of each day's bouts at 11pm, because I couldn't get out of the office until 7 or 8.
I still have a link somewhere that broadcasts a match live - the top guys don't come out until about 3 am our time.
How cool that you got to meet so many people!
djs111

7:36 PM  
Blogger Idle-wandering said...

Oh my yes, Terao. I'll have to see if I can hunt up a picture of him. My friend and work colleague Katrina was an English-language sumo broadcaster for NHK--if you listened in English, you probably heard her. Australian accent, really good at commentary.

I used to watch all 15 days every other month, faithfully. I went to matches in Osaka, and also to practices there, as well as following the "tour" in Tohoku one year.

Oh my, I had forgotten those streaming broadcasts. Believe it or not I used to stay up and try to watch those on dial-up when I first got back!! I went insane missing sumo in the states, but gradually, without any way to keep up, I lost interest.

Amazing, amazing sport to watch though. People don't realize how flexible and graceful sumo wrestlers are.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Shadylil said...

I don't quite understand the Sumo love, but the blog was very interesting *g*

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I started watching because I was flipping through TV channels (in Tokyo) and saw the most beautiful man - he was the guy who hands a ladle and a towel to the winner of a match. So I watched every time I could, just to see him.
Then I started paying attention to the wrestling, it is quite graceful and parts of it are almost like a ballet of sorts.
I would be all tense whenever Terao or Musashimaru wrestled, helping to keep them in the ring, haha!
I kinda miss sumo and Tokyo, I would go back in a heartbeat.
I did not do anything glamourous, just worked in an office, but it was fun riding on the trains and buying food every night and shopping and (sometimes) sightseeing. I worked near the shrine where each Yokozuna has his name engraved in stone, so I saw Musashimaru's name right after he got promoted.
I will have to find my pictures. We drank too much beer at the actual sumo match, and took many pictures from high up in the building, so I can't tell who is who, they are all teeny-tiny. Relatively speaking.

I think I will try and find that link again, and watch some sumo.

10:15 PM  
Blogger clarity625 said...

I know nothing about Sumo, but it is fun to read about it.

11:58 PM  
Blogger Idle-wandering said...

Thanks!!

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You are really lucky!
And I'm glad you talked about chiyonofuji. I loved chiyonofuji when I was a child. He was the strongest and the most handsome yokozuna I'd ever known. I'm not a sumo fan, but this is an interesting blog to read. Thank you!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Idle-wandering said...

You are so lucky. I never got to see Chiyonofuji wrestle at all. I've heard he was truly amazing to watch. I have seen him at the matches--he is still so handsome. Thanks for the comments!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for a publisher in the UK and am urgently looking for the copyright holder of Mainoumi wrestling can anyone help supply a high res image or give me contact details for someone who can ?

8:02 AM  
Blogger Tarq said...

Maybe its more important to you which sumotori is handsome but I just want to say/write that the father of Wakanohana and Takanohana never was Yokozuna. The highest rank of Takanohana I. (Futagoyama) was Ozeki. But his older brother and uncle of the Wakataka-brothers, Wakanohana I., was the 45th Yokozuna.
Loved watching Sumo, its really sad that Eurosport doesn't show Sumo on TV anymore. Greetings from germany ;)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Idle-wandering said...

Hi, thanks for the correction! We don't get Sumo in the US anymore either. Just as well, the coverage was lackluster at best. I miss the NHK coverage. Do you know if they're back on yet? I read in the news that they refused to air the last tourney because of a scandal involving rikshi betting on other sports, and gangsters in front row seats. Sad.

I'd love to have some chankonabi right now to go with some sumo on TV. :)

Thanks again for the comment and correction.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< HOME